Monday 24 May 2021

Memories and Loss

You know when your in the car and a song comes on it evokes all those memories of that time. My playlist is very eclectic to say the least from Matt Monroe to Prodigy. If I hear something I Shazam it to add it to my list. Every song is a memory of a time, place or person.

Sometimes I have to flick it to another song depending on my mood and weirdly depending on how it hits me I can react to a song by dancing around, yes even in my car, to being in floods of tears. Last Christmas by Wham is a classic example, it takes me back to such happy memories of being in the house my mam and dad lived in which they had bought in a small village many miles from where we grew up. They extended it and created an amazing family home that was always filled with people, music, laughter, it was a bit of a party house and occasional strops and tantrums. And of course Christmas when it would be festooned in gaudy decorations and lights, which my dad loved, he just loved that time of year. The Wham song can come on the radio and I feel such joy but equally it can floor me.

I now realise my dad was a gadget twat a term used by another blogger. He had an eight track surround sound thing, cine filming and one of the first Motorola mobile phones which was the size of a small breeze block. He loved all the new gadgetry.

This week my niece sent me a link to the videos from the cine films my dad had done back in the late 70’s early 80’s. She’d sent them off to be put on whatever we can view on them now, I’m a bit thick with this kind of stuff but the link she sent I could view them. 

Seeing these films transported me back to those times. My first wedding, I was so young and I bloody hated my dress. What's the rule? your future husband shouldn't see the dress until the day of the wedding, well he came to Pronuptia, THE at that time wedding dress shop to go to and chose it! The flares and the fashion styles. I had some denim jeans that I had customised into quite short shorts, on one back pocket I had dipped my hand in some paint to leave a hand print and on the other pocket I had sewn a badge with a cat sat on a fire and I wondered why my dad spit his tea out shouting "You're NOT going out in those". There is no sound on these films but I can cast my mind back to the banter and conversations that we had. The many trips to Spain to Casa Aquarius. What a whole new world to us was Spain in the mid seventies. My dad pretending he spoke fluent Spanish and the laughs we had watching him trying to communicate, back then there were very few English speakers. Donkey rides in a tiny unspoilt village way up in the mountains. It was quite a hairy drive up there. Market visits, mam loved a market or two and had to buy the obligatory "Benidorm Donkey" to bring home amongst other things. Larking about in the pool and the sea. N when she was a new born, at my mam and dads she only weighed 5lb 9oz and I'd forgotten how so tiny she was. Another video of her then aged 5 joyfully splashing about in the sea. There is a whole film dedicated to the Humber Bridge and it 's progress being built. Dad had a bit of a fascination with it and ironically Hessle foreshore is a place I visit when I want to just be. 

I couldn't understand why I became so emotionally overwhelmed on a girls trip to Benidorm a couple of years ago, it completely blindsided me. My one stipulation to the ladies on the trip was that I wanted to go back to Altea the small town that holds many memories and a couple of them were happy to come along with me. I had never been back to Spain since those days and right there on these video's were so many of those memories. The feelings and memories brought sharply back  made me cry,  made me laugh and smile fondly. I absolutely loved seeing them. I also thought at that time I was fat! God no I was so skinny, lesson to our selves on perception. 

I’m so very grateful for my niece in doing this and that my dad liked his gadgets.

Priceless precious memories captured of a time that once was in the minds eye now not lost.


Sha x


No comments:

Contact Me