Monday 21 June 2021

Apples for Apples

I’m not really a watch person. I have maybe three that I don’t really wear. Many years ago spotting on the wrist of a very elegant lady the most unusual watch I’d ever seen, it was exquisite, very dainty, very expensive looking and asked if I could try it on it was so lovely. Now recalling back I remember that I found it odd she referred to it by what I naively at that time thought was the name of the chap that had bought her it. What a dick I was! A few years ago a client came in with her sister and had the same style watch. It was a Georg Jenson. The prices range for a non watch kind of person to a maybe possible doable to jeez that much for a watch! the price of the watch I coveted no amount of hint dropping was I going to find it under the tree, even for a joint birthday and Christmas present. 

A couple of years ago under the tree from OH was a watch, an Apple Watch. I’m pretty sure J had some “fluence” on this gift as I think if you broke him in half like a stick of rock he’d have Apple running through him. Not wanting to seem like an ungrateful twat I embraced the watch even upgrading my mobile to pair with it. See I WAS committed. At first the novelty of being able to take a call, you do look a bit like a bodyguard talking into your watch, answering the delivery driver at your door whilst at work and paying for items in the shop was rather cool but then I started to find it intrusive, sometimes making me jump, seeing others in meeting getting a notification on there watch is like seeing some one having an involuntary spasm both disconcerting and distracting and to be honest I’m really not that techy. The watch lay languishing in a drawer.

Last week I had a notion to sell it so put it on a few selling sites. Unusually for me I had the box and all the bits and bobs which were in immaculate condition. Seemingly not one sniff of interest then a message in messenger. The offer of over full asking price to include shipping pricked up my bullshit antenna. Checking out the made up name profile my response was decline. Then another message in messenger from Dougie in the US who wanted it for his girlfriend who was in the UK Dougie’s profile showed a lovely photo of him with what looked like his lovely little wife who were surely living in some retirement complex. It also begged the question of how this had come on his radar from a selling site in Yorkshire UK, another decline I’m afraid Dougie. Another message from a local lady, ah that’s more like it. We arranged to rendezvous at a petrol station half way the next day. Pulling up in the petrol station I checked out the lady in the car next to mine. She got out of the car to ask if I knew her my reply that I was meeting someone there that I didn’t know but I was sure it wasn’t her sounded all kinds of wrong. Another lady pulled in and it was my watch lady. She checked it out paid me cash and other than a couple of messages to say she couldn’t pair it, she was about as techy as me, I got the teen on to it and we were sorted.

Arriving home on Friday after work and a quick nip up to the allotment, OH had been up there most of the day, was a very pleasant looking lady with a girl around fourteen talking into the Ring. It was quite comical as T is connected to it as well as the OH so they were both remotely trying establish what she wanted. It turned out her daughter had lost her Apple Watch she thought in the field near me but the location was showing it at my address. Clearly it couldn’t possibly be at mine but I felt uncomfortable at the thought of her thinking it was and then the battery died. The lady and her daughter lived a few villages away so I said I would put it on our village page. It was a long shot with little expectation of her having it returned. Sunday morning OH had taken the dog out on the field and came back with a note that had been taped on the field entrance gate. Watch found on 18.06.21 call this number. It was the girls watch! I was so relieved it had been found as I could never have proved it wasn’t at the location showing on it.

An Apple for an Apple and a little fellow faith restoration.


Sha x


No comments:

Contact Me