Tuesday 8 June 2021

Time for the Big Guns And A Slam Dunk

Life up at Lottie has been hard work. We have four raised beds and two other beds all planted and all seem to be coming on nicely. The rest of the allotment was waist high in grass and weeds with extremely uneven ground. I now know why sturdy boots are worn to support the ankles, this terrain has made mine feel like I’ve done ten rounds with Tyson Fury, the terrain has knocked the stuffing out of them. I had arranged to collect the shed on Sunday and it became clear there was no way we could tackle this manually, especially the area that needed to be levelled and flagged where the shed is going. We needed to strim and rotavate the rest and seemed more than a little daunting. 

A call to arms was put out on Facebook and a friend who is an established allotment owner came up trumps with a petrol strimmer we could borrow. I went to collect it from her on Saturday morning at her allotment and had immediate allotment envy, she even has chickens which we’re not allowed to have. Her fella kindly showed me how it worked, gave me petrol and extra wire. I kind of nodded some understanding hoping to god OH was a little more strimmer savvy, he is. He set to on Saturday afternoon and uncovered our plot which yes is uneven but in my mind a little gem. Where I was once worried about the trees, we’ve cut back all the brambles that obscured the fence and the trees give a really dappled shade the perfect place to put the shed. There is a little robin that bobs in and out of that part and I spotted a squirrel in the trees yesterday. It feels like a protective backdrop to my plot teeming with wildlife. I also love watching the bees busying themselves from flower to flower. 

Another of my mam’s sayings is “If you get your heads together you could make a wooden hut”. I’m not entirely sure what it means but I get the gist of it. The more time spent up at the allotment the more allegiances and alliances are formed, it really is becoming a little community. Tools and equipment are shared and on our Facebook group anything on selling sites that we may think is useful to someone is posted on there. It’s not always what you know but who you know and one of the plot owners has connections. It was time to bring in the big guns with some kit and physically. We could collectively get a rotavator for twenty four hours at a good price split between who ever utilised it, I was definitely in on that one. 

I ended up with the job of allocating time slots and collecting the money. Two of the guys were responsible for of the booking and delivery of the mean machine. Along with a serious piece of kit arriving there were some seriously rufty  tufty guys turned up to tackle the mean machine and one of the guys on hand to show them how to operate it. I did have a little go but it was really hard work and was very grateful for my plot being done by one of the guys. It’s been a hive of activity up there today and I’ve spent most of my day there, it’s been a glorious day weather wise and to watch everyone mucking in and helping one another has been heartwarming to see.

Being up at the allotment is for me a new passion. I can’t wait to get my shed up and days like today are reminiscent of childhood days, those halcyon days of long hot summers, making daisy chains, buttercups under our chins and just being out in sunshine and nature before the health and safety of slathering in sun cream and a floppy hat before you could possibly enter out in the world. I may not be doing the daisy chains but the vibe is the same. Coming home that nice weary feeling, hungry, a little sun caught and ready for a bath but feeling extremely happy.

The big guns came out and it was a slam dunk in more ways than one.

Sha x






No comments:

Contact Me